by Hansraj Agrawal | Feb 15, 2026 | Business
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB), has announced the expansion of its dedicated Start-up Banking Network. The Public Sector Bank has expanded its exclusive start-up focused branches to Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru, building on the success of its first branch in Chennai.
Launched in June 2024, the Chennai start-up branch has supported 33 start-ups operating in emerging sectors such as EVs, clean energy and robotics handled business exceeding ₹100 crore.
The bank has also introduced ‘IOB Gram Sweekar’, a focused rural outreach programme. The programme will focus on strengthening credit delivery, enhancing financial literacy and ensuring universal access to the Bank’s flagship financial products and services. The bank aims to take the initiative to 90 gram panchayats across 14 districts in Tamil Nadu and Thiruvananthapuram district in Kerala.
The initiatives were inaugurated by M Nagaraju, Secretary, Department of Financial Services, along with the Bank’s top management.as part of IOB’s 90th Foundation Day.
“These initiatives underscore IOB’s future-ready approach, combining technology, outreach and collaboration to serve the evolving needs of citizens, entrepreneurs and communities. The Bank remains committed to innovating and expanding its services to contribute meaningfully to India’s economic progress,” said Ajay Kumar Srivastava, MD & CEO, Indian Overseas Bank.
Published on February 15, 2026
Source link
by Hansraj Agrawal | Feb 15, 2026 | Business
FILE PHOTO: Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
| Photo Credit:
FRANCIS MASCARENHAS
The RBI tightened rules for loans taken by firms that undertake proprietary trading in shares and commodities and offer leverage to clients, the latest measure aimed at reducing speculative market activity in the South Asian nation.
All credit facilities to securities firms will have to be backed by collateral, while lending for trading on their own account or investments by brokers will be prohibited, according to a statement published on the Reserve Bank of India’s website late Friday. The so-called prudential rules for capital market intermediaries such as stock and commodity brokers will come into effect from April 1, the central bank said.
The stricter measures would raise the cost of raising capital by proprietary trading firms and squeeze profits. While Indian banks traditionally do not directly finance proprietary trading, the directive closes a loophole that allowed short-term working capital loans given by banks to be diverted for trading by brokers.
Proprietary trading firms accounted for more than 50% of equity options turnover on the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd. — the country’s biggest stock bourse — last year, according to data. In cash equities trading, their share hit a 21-year high on the NSE at around 30%.
The latest step comes just days after India sharply raised transaction tax on trading of single-stock and index derivatives in a bid to reduce speculative trading. Combined with the central bank’s new rules, market participants fear the rules will hurt volumes.
The RBI has also asked banks to demand that guarantees extended by them on behalf of a broker for proprietary trades to be fully secured, with 50 per cent of collateral being in cash and rest as cash equivalents and government securities. The new rule will narrow the type of securities trading firms can offer as collateral to banks.
The central bank also tightened lending rules for margin trading facility under which stock brokers offer leverage to their clients. Loans given by banks for the product will have to be fully secured by cash and other liquid securities. Stocks offered as collateral by brokers will be considered at a 40% valuation discount.
Margin trading facility has grown rapidly into a more than 1 trillion rupees ($11 billion) market for stock brokers, where clients can get leverage of upto five times their capital.
More stories like this are available on bloomberg.com
©2026 Bloomberg L.P.
Published on February 15, 2026
Source link
by Hansraj Agrawal | Feb 15, 2026 | Business
Research Report on Artificial Intelligence: आर्टिफिशियल इंटेलिजेंस (एआई) के तेजी से विस्तार के बाद लोगों के मन में यह आशंका बनी हुई है कि क्या इससे बड़े पैमाने पर नौकरियां खत्म हो रही हैं, खासकर आईटी सेक्टर में. हाल की छंटनियों को भी कई बार एआई से जोड़कर देखा गया है. हालांकि, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (आईसीआरआईईआर) द्वारा ओपनएआई के सहयोग से तैयार एक हालिया शोध रिपोर्ट इस धारणा को पूरी तरह सही नहीं मानती.
क्या एआई के चलते जा रही नौकरी?
‘AI and Jobs: This Time is No Different’ शीर्षक वाली इस स्टडी के अनुसार, मौजूदा समय में आईटी सेक्टर की नौकरियां सीधे तौर पर एआई के कारण नहीं जा रही हैं. रिपोर्ट बताती है कि एआई के आने से काम करने के तरीके ज्यादा व्यवस्थित और कुशल हुए हैं, उत्पादकता बढ़ी है और कार्य-प्रक्रियाओं में बदलाव आया है, लेकिन यह व्यापक स्तर पर मानव कर्मचारियों की जगह नहीं ले रहा. यह सर्वे नवंबर 2025 से जनवरी 2026 के बीच देश के 10 शहरों में 650 आईटी फर्मों पर किया गया, जिसमें भर्ती के रुझान, व्यावसायिक मांग, उत्पादकता और स्किल पैटर्न का विश्लेषण किया गया.
रिपोर्ट में सामने आया कि एआई आउटपुट को आसान बनाता है और दक्ष पेशेवरों की उपयोगिता को बढ़ाता है, न कि उन्हें प्रतिस्थापित करता है. कंपनियों ने माना कि एंट्री-लेवल भर्तियों में कुछ कमी जरूर आई है, लेकिन मिड और सीनियर लेवल पर नियुक्तियां पहले की तरह जारी हैं. शोधकर्ताओं का कहना है कि आईटी सेक्टर के रुझान काफी हद तक कोविड-पूर्व ट्रेंड्स के अनुरूप ही हैं और एआई ने उनमें कोई असाधारण बदलाव नहीं किया है.
रिसर्च में क्या निकला?
हालांकि, स्टडी यह भी बताती है कि जिन भूमिकाओं में अधिक ऑटोमेशन संभव है, वे अपेक्षाकृत अधिक जोखिम में हैं. इसके विपरीत, सॉफ्टवेयर डेवलपर्स, डेटा इंजीनियर्स और डेटाबेस एडमिनिस्ट्रेटर्स जैसी तकनीकी भूमिकाओं की मांग बढ़ी है. कुल मिलाकर, रिपोर्ट यह संकेत देती है कि एआई नौकरियां खत्म करने के बजाय कौशल-आधारित बदलाव ला रहा है, जिससे कार्यबल को नई तकनीकों के अनुरूप खुद को अपग्रेड करने की जरूरत है.
ये भी पढ़ें: निवेशकों के लिए पैसा लगाने का मौका! सेबी ने इन कंपनियों के पब्लिक इश्यू को दी मंजूरी, जानें डिटेल
Source link
by Hansraj Agrawal | Feb 14, 2026 | Business
Kerala-based Manappuram Finance Ltd (MFL) on Saturday said it has received the Reserve Bank of India’s final approval for the proposed acquisition by Bain Capital of up to 41.66 per cent of the Company’s paid-up equity capital / convertible instruments.
With this approval, Bain Capital will be classified as a promoter of MFL and will jointly control the gold financier along with the existing promoters. The Board will be reconstituted and will include nominee directors of Bain Capital, in line with the transaction agreements, per a MFL statement.
The RBI approval, is in connection with the definitive agreements executed on March 20, 2025, under which Bain Capital (through its affiliates — BC Asia Investments XXV Limited and BC Asia Investments XIV) committed to invest approximately ₹4,385 crore to acquire an 18.0 per cent stake in MFL on a fully diluted basis through preferential allotment of equity shares and warrants at a price of ₹236 per share.
The transaction also triggers a mandatory open offer for the purchase of an additional 26.0 per cent stake from public shareholders at ₹236 per share.
V.P. Nandakumar, MD & CEO, Manappuram Finance Limited, said: “The RBI approvalis an important milestone in our partnership and reflects the strength of our governance framework and business model. With Bain Capital coming on board as a joint controlling shareholder, we are well-positioned to accelerate growth in our core segments, invest further in technology and risk management capabilities, and build a professionally managed, future-ready financial services company.”
Further, the strategic investment will also help MFL enhance and expand its branch network pan India.
Published on February 14, 2026
Source link
by Hansraj Agrawal | Feb 14, 2026 | Business
PhonePe, which built its scale on the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) with over 657 million registered users, is leveraging payments as a distribution layer rather than a primary revenue engine.
| Photo Credit:
SAMYUKTA LAKSHMI
Walmart-backed fintech major PhonePe is sharpening its financial services play ahead of its proposed public listing, as lending and insurance distribution emerge as key growth drivers beyond its core UPI business.
Revenue from the lending and insurance distribution segment has surged from ₹28.05 crore in FY23 to ₹557.65 crore in FY25, clocking a compound annual growth rate of over 345 per cent. In the first half of FY26 alone, the segment generated ₹452.62 crore, nearly doubling from ₹216.78 crore a year earlier. Its contribution to total revenue has steadily risen from 0.96 per cent in FY23 to 7.84 per cent in FY25, and further to 11.55 per cent in H1 FY26.
PhonePe, which built its scale on the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) with over 657 million registered users, is leveraging payments as a distribution layer rather than a primary revenue engine. Operating as a lending service provider, it connects borrowers with banks and NBFCs, earning commissions without taking on direct credit risk.
Since launching its lending distribution business in March 2023, partner-led lifetime disbursals have reached ₹14,270 crore, with coverage across nearly 99 per cent of India’s pin codes. Merchant lending and small-ticket consumer loans form a significant part of this portfolio.
In insurance, PhonePe has facilitated the sale of 18.49 million policies, with a total premium value of ₹2,290 crore across 29 partners. It has also built a presence in digital motor insurance and expanded into bite-sized “sachet” products tailored to specific risks.
In FY25, the company reported operational revenue of ₹7,114 crore, up 40 per cent year-on-year, with adjusted EBITDA of ₹1,477 crore and adjusted PAT of ₹630 crore. As it prepares for its IPO, PhonePe’s pivot towards higher-margin, commission-led financial services could materially reshape its earnings profile.
Published on February 14, 2026
Source link
by Hansraj Agrawal | Feb 14, 2026 | Business
Jitendra Singh,Union Minister of State for Science and Technology and Earth Sciences and M RaviChandran,Secretary,Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India at the RISE (Research,Industry,Startup and Entrepreneurship)
Conclave in Chennai.
| Photo Credit:
BIJOY GHOSH
Despite the failure of the PSLV-C62 mission’s last failure last month, the Indian Space Research Organisation remains committed to the launch plans for 2026 and will continue to go ahead with all the 18 planned launches for this year, according to Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences.
He added that the next PSLV launch can be expected by June or July.
Singh was speaking at the Research, Industry, Start-up and Entrepreneurship (RISE) Conclave organised by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) here on Saturday.
“We have 18 launches planned this year including six private parties and not a single launch has been cancelled or withdrawn. ISRO’s and the PSLV’s credibility continues to be intact. We will launch Vyommitra, the female robot astronaut, to space by the end of this year and are on track for the Gaganyaan Mission next year,” he said, addressing mediapersons on the sidelines of the event.
Addressing the conclave, Singh said that the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research’s aim is to comprehensively develop the startup ecosystem including in core Indian domains like leather, agriculture beyond just AI and IT sector.
He emphasised that the focus now should be on disseminating the progressive governmental schemes to the innovators across the nation.
The event also saw the signing of multiple Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) between CSIR and academic institutions and their incubation centres to strengthen structured collaboration, which included Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy (SASTRA), PSG College of Technology and B.S. Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science and Technology. He also inaugurated the R&D facility of Larsen & Toubro Limited in Chennai at the event.
two day conclave
The two-day conclave aims to bring together innovation and start-up stakeholders from the grassroots and also foster closer integration among research institutions, industry, academia, and young entrepreneurs.
N Kalaiselvi, Director General of the CSIR and Secretary of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) emphasised that the major reform within the National research labs is the increased collaboration and work in synergy between various governmental divisions, academia and industry.
Published on February 14, 2026
Source link