Crude oil futures gain ahead of US-Iran talks

Crude oil futures gain ahead of US-Iran talks


Crude oil futures traded higher on Friday morning despite de-escalation of tensions between Iran and US as both countries are scheduled to hold talks later in the day.

At 9.56 am on Friday, April Brent oil futures were at $67.93, up by 0.56 per cent, and March crude oil futures on WTI (West Texas Intermediate) were at $63.67, up by 0.60 per cent. February crude oil futures were trading at ₹5755 on Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) during the initial hour of trading on Friday against the previous close of ₹5746, up by 0.16 per cent, and March futures were trading at ₹5752 against the previous close of ₹5737, up by 0.26 per cent.

Despite increasing tensions between the US and Iran, officials from both countries are set to meet in Oman later on Friday. Market players feel that this meeting could help de-escalate tensions between the two countries and reduce the risk of a conflict in the region.

Reports said that both countries were seen disagreeing over the subject of the meeting. While Iran wants the talks be limited only to nuclear programme, US wants to discuss Iran’s missile arsenal also. Iran is one of the major oil producers. It is strategically located next to the Strait of Hormuz, which is one of the important shipping channels for crude oil transportation.

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump has said that he retains the right to ‘militarily secure and reinforce’ the American presence in Diego Garcia.

In a post on the social media platform Truth Social, Trump said he had very productive discussions with the UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer about the Island of Diego Garcia.

Terming it as the site of a major US military base strategically situated in the middle of the Indian Ocean, he said the base is of great importance to the national security of the US.

“We have the most powerful Military in the World. Our Military Operations, over the course of the last year, were successful because of the strength of our war fighters, modern capability of our equipment and, very importantly, the strategic location of our Military Bases for staging and other reasons. I understand that the deal Prime Minister Starmer has made, according to many, the best he could make. However, if the lease deal, sometime in the future, ever falls apart, or anyone threatens or endangers US operations and forces at our Base, I retain the right to Militarily secure and reinforce the American presence in Diego Garcia. Let it be known that I will never allow our presence on a Base as important as this to ever be undermined or threatened by fake claims or environmental nonsense,” he said.

In a separate post, Trump said: “The United States is the most powerful Country in the World. I completely rebuilt its Military in my First Term, including new and many refurbished nuclear weapons. I also added Space Force and now, continue to rebuild our Military at levels never seen before. We are even adding Battleships, which are 100 times more powerful than the ones that roamed the Seas during World War II — The Iowa, Missouri, Alabama, and others.”

February nickel futures were trading at ₹1527.20 on MCX during the initial hour of trading on Friday against the previous close of ₹1538, down by 0.70 per cent.

On the National Commodities and Derivatives Exchange (NCDEX), March jeera contracts were trading at ₹23865 in the initial hour of trading on Friday against the previous close of ₹23810, up by 0.23 per cent.

February guargum futures were trading at ₹10330 on NCDEX in the initial hour of trading on Friday against the previous close of ₹10393, down by 0.61 per cent.

Published on February 6, 2026



Source link

Bitcoin plunges to near ,000 as investors flee risky bets

Bitcoin plunges to near $60,000 as investors flee risky bets


Bitcoin made a 16-month low and tested key $60,000 support on Friday, as a global selloff in technology stocks deepened and washed ‍out risky bets across asset classes.

The world’s largest cryptocurrency was last up 1.64% at $64,153.24 ​in volatile trade, swinging between gains and losses after having ‌hit a low of $60,008.52 earlier in the session.

That marked its ​weakest since October 2024, a month before Donald Trump won the U.S. presidential election, having signalled his intention to support crypto on the campaign trail.

“Bitcoin’s been going down since October (2025), maybe you could ask if it was the canary in the coalmine, or a coincidence,” said Chris Weston, head of research at brokerage Pepperstone in Melbourne.

“A lot of these big ​crowded positions are being unwound very, very quickly.”

Ether was last up ⁠2.4% at $1,891.27, having slid to a 10-month low of $1,751.94 earlier in the session.

The global crypto market has lost some $2 trillion in value since hitting a peak of $4.379 trillion in early ​October, CoinGecko data showed, with more ⁠than $1 trillion wiped out over the past month alone.

Bitcoin was on track to shed 16% for the week, taking its losses for the year so far to 27%. Meanwhile, ether was headed for a weekly ‌decline of 17%, with losses of 36% so far this year.

Sentiment ‌on crypto was affected by the latest selling in precious metals and stocks. Gold and silver, for instance, have become ‍more volatile as a result of leveraged buying and speculative flows.

Bitcoin’s fortunes have been tied to the broader tech sector for some time. The price ‍tended to rise, particularly on the back of investor enthusiasm over artificial intelligence.

“Bitcoin drifting back toward $60,000 is not crypto dying, it is the bill coming due for Treasuries and funds that treated bitcoin as a one-way asset without real risk controls, just as we have seen sharp corrections in self-proclaimed safe-haven assets like gold and silver when leverage and narrative ran ahead of reality,” said Joshua Chu, co-chair of the Hong Kong Web3 Association.

“Those who bet too ⁠big, borrowed too much or assumed prices only go up are now finding out the hard way what real market volatility ​and risk management look like.”

To be sure, cryptocurrencies have struggled for months ⁠since a record crash last October sent bitcoin tumbling from a peak.

That has resulted in investor sentiment cooling off on digital assets.

Analysts from Deutsche Bank said in a note that U.S. spot bitcoin ETFs witnessed outflows of more than $3 billion in January, following outflows ⁠of about $2 billion and $7 billion in December and November, respectively.

Published on February 6, 2026



Source link

Nifty may lose 125 points at open amidst a  global rout

Nifty may lose 125 points at open amidst a global rout


Domestic markets are likely to open weak on Friday amidst a global melt down. The focus will be on the outcome of the RBI monetary policy and outlook on the Indian economy. Gift Nifty is ruling at 25,600 against the Nifty futures close of 25,725, signalling a gap-down opening of 125-130 points at open. 

According to analysts, IT stocks will remain under pressure given the risk-off sentiment towards them following the artificial intelligence scare.

Basant Bafna, Head – Fixed Income, Mirae Asset Investment Managers (India) Pvt. Ltd., said: The MPC is expected to remain on status quo in terms of policy rates. As a reduction in policy rates has still not translated into market yields, focus is expected to remain on measures to ensure transmission of rate cuts aggregating 125 basis points over the past year. 

“With the growth-inflation dynamics remaining well supported, RBI has been infusing liquidity in the form of Variable Rate Repo (VRR) Operations as well as Open Market Operations (OMOs) over the past quarter. Expectations remain for an RBI communication regarding continuity of the same in view of elevated Credit-Deposit (CD) ratios for banks. Further, in view of the Gross Borrowing Calendar for FY 2026-27, markets also look forward to RBI’s communication on OMOs to support the Government’s Borrowing Programme,” he said.

According to Ponmudi R, CEO of Enrich Money, the global equity markets are trading with a pronounced risk-off bias following sharp losses in the overnight US session

Weakness in global technology stocks and commodities continues to weigh on sentiment, with selling pressure extending into Asian markets. Japan’s Nikkei is down nearly 0.8%, while South Korea’s Kospi is under significant pressure, sliding 3–4%, led by heavy tech stock liquidation.

“Against this backdrop, Indian equity markets are expected to open flat to mildly negative, with investors adopting a cautious stance ahead of today’s RBI Monetary Policy announcement. While the recent trade agreement continues to provide an underlying positive backdrop by easing external headwinds and supporting export-oriented sectors, the sharp multi-day rally has clearly entered a consolidation phase. Profit-taking at higher levels and the continued absence of sustained FII participation, despite the trade-led optimism, remain near-term drags on sentiment. Domestic fundamentals such as capex momentum and macro stability remain supportive, but near-term market direction is likely to be driven primarily by cues from the RBI’s policy stance and external factors,” he added

Published on February 6, 2026



Source link

Why Gold/ Silver ETFs, NSDL, Stallion India, Federal Bank, SJVN, KRBL and Axis Bank will remain in focus on Friday

Why Gold/ Silver ETFs, NSDL, Stallion India, Federal Bank, SJVN, KRBL and Axis Bank will remain in focus on Friday


The board of Stallion India Fluorochemicals has approved a rights issue to raise up to ₹364 crore at ₹99 a share. The capital raising exercise will offer existing shareholders the opportunity to subscribe to additional shares in proportion to their current holdings, the company said in a release to the stock exchanges

Federal Bank Ltd said RBI has allowed Blackstone subsidiary, Asia II Topco XIII Pte Ltd, to acquire up to 9.99 per cent of the bank’s paid-up share capital or voting rights. Last year in December, the Competition Commission of India had cleared US-based Blackstone’s proposal to acquire 9.99 per cent stake through warrants in Federal Bank. 

Fitch Ratings has revised the outlook on Axis Bank Ltd’s Long-Term Issuer Default Rating (IDR) to Positive from Stable, and affirmed the IDR at ‘BB+’. Fitch has also upgraded the bank’s Viability Rating (VR) to ‘bb+’, from ‘bb’, and affirmed the Government Support Rating (GSR) at ‘bb+’.

National Securities Depository Ltd will remain in focus due to a technical glitch in its system. NSDL was expecting all delayed equity trades to be settled by Thursday night after a technical network disruption affected inter-depository settlement flows earlier this week, according to a businessline report. The issue was caused by instability in NSDL’s network systems, which temporarily disrupted connectivity with Central Depository Services (India) Ltd. (CDSL), a key link used for transferring securities across depository platforms. Inter-depository functions are a routine, but critical part of India’s post-trade market infrastructure, used when securities move across different depository platforms.

Silver/Gold ETFs will remain in focus as metal prices fell sharply and remained volatile. Silver spot slumped 9 per cent below $65 a dollar. Gold prices fell over one per cent to $4,715.

SJVN on Thursday said it has started electricity supply from its 70 megawatt Dhubri solar power plant in Assam. In a statement, SJVN said the project has been executed through wholly-owned subsidiary SJVN Green Energy Limited (SGEL). The ₹367.44-crore 70 MW project has been developed on 330 acres of lease-based land.

KRBL Ltd has launched a low glycemic index rice variant under its health-oriented Uplife brand. India Gate Uplife Lite Everyday Rice targets consumers seeking blood sugar management and sustained energy levels, marking the latest expansion of the Uplife portfolio launched last year, the company said.

Published on February 6, 2026



Source link

18 killed in Meghalaya illegal coal mine blast, investigation underway

18 killed in Meghalaya illegal coal mine blast, investigation underway


East Jaintia Hills: Smoke billows after an explosion at an illegal coal mine, in East Jaintia Hills district, Meghalaya, Thursday, Feb. 5, 2026. At least 18 workers were killed and several others are feared trapped.
| Photo Credit:
PTI

At least 18 miners were killed in a blast, and several others feared trapped in an illegal coal mining site in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills district on Thursday, prompting the government to order an investigation, officials said.

Rescue teams have been engaged in search operations, Director General of Police I Nongrang said, adding that the incident occurred in the Thangsku area in the morning.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh would be provided to the next of kin of each deceased, while the injured would be given Rs 50,000.

“Pained by the mishap in East Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya. Condolences to those who lost their loved ones. May the injured recover at the earliest,” the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) quoted Modi as saying in a post on X.

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma expressed grief over the incident and announced a probe.

During rescue operations, a total of 18 bodies were recovered from the site, East Jaintia Hills Superintendent of Police Vikash Kumar said.

One person who sustained injuries in the blast was initially taken to Sutnga Primary Health Centre before being referred to a Shillong hospital for better treatment.

“The exact number of labourers present inside the mine at the time of the explosion is yet to be ascertained. More people are feared trapped,” the DGP said.

The explosion occurred at an illegal coal mine at Mynsyngat in the Thangsku area under Umpleng Police Outpost, Kumar said.

He said that information about the blast was received in the morning, following which senior officers and other staff reached the spot.

Upon verification, it was confirmed that an explosion had taken place inside the illegal coal mine and several persons were suspected to be trapped, the SP added.

Teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) and a Special Rescue Team (SRT) have been deployed at the site, and rescue and recovery operations are continuing, police said.

A suo motu FIR was registered in connection with the incident at Khliehriat police station under various sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, and the Explosive Substances Act, the SP added.

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma also expressed condolences and ordered a comprehensive inquiry into the incident.

“Profoundly saddened by the tragic coal mine incident in East Jaintia Hills. My deepest sympathies are with the families who have lost their loved ones in this unfortunate tragedy,” Sangma said in a statement.

He said accountability would be fixed and those responsible would face strict legal action, asserting that there would be no compromise when it comes to the safety of lives.

The Meghalaya High Court also took suo motu cognisance of reports of the incident and directed authorities to take immediate action against those involved in alleged illegal mining activities, officials said.

The court directed the Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent of Police of East Jaintia Hills to identify and arrest the mine owners and operators and to seize incriminating materials linked to the illegal mining.

It also summoned the Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent of Police of East Jaintia Hills to appear in person before the court on February 9 with details of action taken in the matter.

The National Green Tribunal (NGT) had imposed a ban on rat-hole coal mining and other unscientific mining practices in Meghalaya in 2014, citing environmental damage and safety risks, while also restricting illegal transportation of coal extracted through such methods.

Rat-hole mining involves digging of narrow tunnels, usually 3-4 feet high, for workers to enter and extract coal. The horizontal tunnels are often termed “rat-holes”, as each just about fits one person.

The Supreme Court later upheld the ban and allowed mining only under scientific and regulated procedures with environmental safeguards.

Published on February 6, 2026



Source link

YouTube
Instagram
WhatsApp