India Reminds China Of The “Undeniable Reality” Of Arunachal Pradesh

India Reminds China Of The “Undeniable Reality” Of Arunachal Pradesh




New Delhi:

India has once again issued a strong rebuttal to China’s attempts to rename certain places in Arunachal Pradesh, which Beijing refers to as “Zangnan,” or the southern part of Tibet. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), responding to a fresh round of Chinese place-naming initiatives, dismissed the exercise as futile and reiterated India’s stance on the status of the state.

“We have noticed that China has persisted with its vain and preposterous attempts to name places in the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh,” MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal stated on Wednesday. “Consistent with our principled position, we reject such attempts categorically. Creative naming will not alter the undeniable reality that Arunachal Pradesh was, is, and will always remain an integral and inalienable part of India,” the External Affairs ministry said in a statement. 

China, which claims Arunachal Pradesh as part of its territory, has often released maps with several places within the northeastern state renamed. In 2024, China released a list of 30 new names of various places in Arunachal Pradesh, which India categorically rejected. 

The boundary dispute between India and China over Arunachal Pradesh has been a longstanding source of friction. The region shares a border with China’s Tibet Autonomous Region. Beijing claims the state as part of historical Tibet, while New Delhi has administered it as an integral part of India since independence in 1947 and the subsequent consolidation of its northeast.

The territorial dispute over Arunachal Pradesh has, in recent years, been accompanied by concerns over the use of water resources in the region. At the centre of these concerns is China’s decision to construct what is expected to be the world’s largest hydroelectric dam on the Yarlung Tsangpo river in Tibet’s Medog County-just before the river bends and flows into India as the Siang, and later becomes the Brahmaputra in Assam.

Tapir Gao, MP and state BJP unit chief, had described the Chinese project as a “water bomb” last month. “China has already decided to construct a dam which will have the capacity to produce 60,000 MW of electricity. This is not going to be a dam, but a water bomb to be used against India and other lower riparian countries,” Mr Gao said.

The BJP MP recalled the floods of June 2000, which he claimed were triggered by a similar release of water upstream, resulting in the destruction of over ten bridges in Arunachal Pradesh. “If China decides to release water from the dam in the future, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Bangladesh and other countries of South East Asia will be devastated,” he warned.

He also supported the construction of a counter-balancing dam within Arunachal Pradesh to manage downstream disaster risks that could arise from sudden water discharges from the Chinese side.




Source link

“Pak Used Civilian Flights As Part Of Its Conspiracy”: PM To Soldiers

“Pak Used Civilian Flights As Part Of Its Conspiracy”: PM To Soldiers




New Delhi:

Praising the armed forces for meeting the objectives of Operation Sindoor, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday highlighted to the world, once again, how Pakistan had used civilian flights as a shield, putting the lives of hundreds of innocent people in danger. 

Addressing personnel of the Indian Air Force at the Adampur Airbase – India’s second largest – In Punjab on Tuesday, Prime Minister Modi said the Indian armed forces carried out strikes with pinpoint precision at terror bases in Pakistan on May 7 in just 20-25 minutes.

“Your precision was such that the enemy was left stunned, it did not even realise when it was struck. Our aim was to hit terror headquarters and terrorists, but Pakistan hatched a conspiracy by placing its passenger planes in front… I can imagine how difficult it must have been, but I am proud that you did an amazing job and did not let any civilian aircraft be harmed. You gave a befitting reply,” the PM said in Hindi. 

During a press briefing on Friday, India had pointed out how Pakistan had not closed its airspace for civilian flights even as it launched 300-400 missiles at India the previous day, and said the country was using unsuspecting civilian aircraft, including international flights, as shields.

“Pakistan is using civil airliners as a shield, knowing fully well that its attack on India would elicit a swift air defence response. This is not safe for the unsuspecting civil airliners, including the international flights, which were flying near the International Border between India and Pakistan,” Army Colonel Sofiya Qureshi had said. 

That same evening, at least two commercial aircraft were seen flying near Lahore in Pakistan even as a fresh wave of drones and missiles was being intercepted on the Indian side. While all of this was happening, India had closed its airspace close to the Line of Control and International Border to civilian aircraft.

After India’s accusations rang alarm bells, Pakistan closed its airspace to civilian aircraft temporarily on Saturday, the day its Director General of Military Operations called up his Indian counterpart and a ceasefire was agreed upon. 




Source link

IndiGo Cancels Flights To Amritsar, 5 Other Cities For Today

IndiGo Cancels Flights To Amritsar, 5 Other Cities For Today




New Delhi:

 IndiGo has cancelled its flights to and from Jammu, Amritsar, Chandigarh, Leh, Srinagar and Rajkot for May 13.

“In light of the latest developments and with your safety as our utmost priority, flights to and from Jammu, Amritsar, Chandigarh, Leh, Srinagar, and Rajkot are cancelled for 13th May 2025,” IndiGo said in a post on X at 11:38 PM on Monday.

The airline also said its teams are actively monitoring the situation.

These six airports are among those that were reopened for civilian flights on Monday after being temporarily shut in the wake of the military conflict between India and Pakistan.

On Monday evening, an IndiGo flight enroute to Amritsar returned to the national capital after precautionary blackout measures were enforced in Amritsar, according to sources.

The flight 6E2045 from Delhi to Amritsar returned to the national capital after being ariborne for sometime, as per information available on flight tracking website Flightradar24.com.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)




Source link

Earthquake Of Magnitude 5.5 Hits Tibet, No Reports Of Casualties

Earthquake Of Magnitude 5.5 Hits Tibet, No Reports Of Casualties


The quake hit the city of Shigatse at a depth of 10 km.

An earthquake of magnitude 5.5 struck Tibet early on Monday, the China Earthquake Administration (CEA) said.

The quake hit the city of Shigatse at 5:11 a.m. (2111 GMT), at a depth of 10 km (6.2 miles).

Authorities have dispatched emergency response services and no casualties have been reported so far, CEA said.

In January, more than 120 died in a 6.8-magnitude earthquake that struck Tibet’s Tingri county, around 240 km (149 miles) away from Shigatse.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)




Source link

“Positive Sign”: Ukraine's Zelensky Welcomes Putin's Call For Peace Talks

“Positive Sign”: Ukraine's Zelensky Welcomes Putin's Call For Peace Talks


Russia’s Putin effectively rejected ceasefire proposal and proposed restarting direct talks with Ukraine.


Kyiv:

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky says he is pleased to see that Russia is finally engaging with finding an end to the war, but there must be a ceasefire before peace talks can start.

Calling it a “positive sign,” he said that “the entire world has been waiting for this for a very long time. And the very first step in truly ending any war is a ceasefire.”

Russian President Vladimir Putin in remarks to the media overnight effectively rejected the ceasefire proposal and proposed restarting direct talks with Ukraine in Istanbul on May 15 instead.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)




Source link

Explosions Heard Across Srinagar, Says Omar Abdullah After India-Pak Ceasefire

Explosions Heard Across Srinagar, Says Omar Abdullah After India-Pak Ceasefire




New Delhi/Srinagar:

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in a post on X said he heard some “explosions” in Srinagar.

Minutes later, many residents of the city posted visuals on X showing what they claimed was tracer fire by anti-aircraft guns at incoming drones in the night sky.

Mr Abdullah’s post came hours after both India and Pakistan announced they had agreed to a ceasefire. US President Donald Trump had also made the same announcement about the two nuclear-armed neighbours.

“What the hell just happened to the ceasefire? Explosions heard across Srinagar,” Mr Abdullah said in the post on X.

Soon, he posted an update, which contained a video: “This is no ceasefire. The air defence units in the middle of Srinagar just opened up.”

By 9.52 pm, shelling along the Line of Control (LoC) and reports of explosions at Srinagar stopped, sources said.

Gujarat Home Minister Harsh Sanghavi in a post on X said drones were also seen in Kutch district.

“Several drones have been spotted in the Kutch district. A complete blackout will be implemented now. Please stay safe, don’t panic,” he said.

The Border Security Force (BSF) in a post on X said sub-inspector Md Imteyaz was killed in action during cross-border firing in Jammu region’s RS Pura area.

The Ludhiana district commissioner (DC) said there is nothing to worry as of now. They may have to enforce a blackout depending on the situation, and the armed forces along with the district administration are monitoring the situation.

In Patiala, the DC said they will inform the public well in time if there is any imminent threat, but there is nothing to worry at the moment.

In Amritsar, the DC said there are reports of ceasefire violations and they will enforce a blackout if and when needed.

“… I advise all to kindly be prepared for enforcement of a blackout if the need arises and be at home/indoors… We have done this drill several times, so please don’t panic. This is by way of abundant caution,” the Amritsar DC said in a public message.






Source link

YouTube
Instagram
WhatsApp