“Not Very Big”: Hema Malini Shocker On Kumbh Stampede That Killed 30

“Not Very Big”: Hema Malini Shocker On Kumbh Stampede That Killed 30




New Delhi:

The stampede at the Maha Kumbh – in which 30 people were killed and over twice that number injured – “was not a very big incident”, actor and BJP MP Hema Malini said Tuesday, days after her “very nice bath” at the confluence of the Ganga, Yamuna and (mythical) Saraswati rivers in Prayagraj.

“… it was not a very big incident. I don’t know how big it was (but) it is being exaggerated,” she declared, also praising Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath’s administration for a “very well-managed” religious gathering. “Everything was done very well…” she continued, also seeming to excuse the stampede as ‘inevitable’ given “so many people are coming… very difficult to manage”.

On criticism by opposition leaders – who have accused the UP government of hiding the real number of deaths – she shrugged, “They will say what they want to… It is their job to say wrong things.”

Hema Malini took her ‘holy dip’ last week, after which she declared she was “feeling great”, and said, “I have never had such an experience before… I am fortunate to take the holy dip.”

The comments invited a sharp jab from Tariq Anwar, the Congress MP from UP’s Katihar, who said the actor could “never know what it (the horrific crowding that led to the stampede) was really like”.

“When she visited, she was given VIP treatment. Things at Maha Kumbh went downhill because the police and administration were both (looking) after VIPs. They did not bother about the arrangements and security for common people. If she says this is not a big issue… it is a mockery of the victims.”

The Samajwadi Party responded through MP Dharmendra Yadav, who also pointed out Hema Malini would have had VIP treatment for her visit to Prayagraj. “She is the ruling party leader and a big artist… it is possible she had special facilities (but) hundreds died and that is not hidden from anyone.”

Maha Kumbh Stampede

Thirty people were killed in a stampede after a restive crowd jostled for space and burst past barriers to take that ‘holy dip’, or ‘amrit snaan‘. At least 60 were injured in the tragic event.

VIDEO | Moments That Led To Maha Kumbh Stampede Caught On Cam

The stampede triggered furious pushback from opposition parties, particularly after the state government seemed to delay confirming fatalities; a post by Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered condolences to the families of those killed, well before the UP Chief Minister acknowledged deaths.

Opposition’s Attacks On Stampede

Ex-Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav’s Samajwadi Party has been at the forefront of the opposition’s calls for justice for the victims (and their families) and holding the government to account. This morning too, speaking in Parliament, he demanded that “those hiding the truth be punished”.

Mr Yadav has repeatedly raised this issue inside and outside the House, even leading his MPs on a symbolic walk-out last week as Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman began reading the Union Budget.

READ | Opposition MPs In ‘Walk-Out’ As Nirmala Sitharaman Reads Budget

Later that day he told reporters, “There is something more important now than a ‘budget’.”

The SP boss was joined in his fierce attacks by colleague Jaya Bachchan, who is also an actor-politician; Ms Bachchan on Monday ripped into the BJP and the state government, accusing them of dumping the bodies of those killed in the stampede into the Ganga River.

READ | “Kumbh Stampede Victims’ Bodies Thrown In River”: Jaya Bachchan

“Where is the water most contaminated right now? It is in Kumbh. No one is giving any clarification on that. Bodies have been thrown in the river because of which water is contaminated… ” she said.

The BJP took strong exception to her remarks, accusing its rival of “hurting the sentiments of Hindus” and warning them that they “will have to face the repercussions”. The party also said Rs 1,600 crore had been spent for water management, including waste disposal, in this Kumbh period.

In Parliament and out, the SP and other opposition parties have demanded a verified list of those who died in the stampede, arguing the BJP’s UP government is trying to hide the actual number.

Kharge’s Attacks

Meanwhile, Congress chief Mallikarjun Kharge fired barbs of his own this week, declaring in the Rajya Sabha that “thousands” had been killed in the stampede.

When the BJP protested, and the Chair, Jagdeep Dhankhar, demanded he retract the comment, Mr Kharge said, “… how many people died… give that information at least. I will apologise if I am wrong.”

With input from agencies

NDTV is now available on WhatsApp channels. Click on the link to get all the latest updates from NDTV on your chat.






Source link

“Maharashtra Won't Forgive You”: D Fadnavis On Rahul Gandhi's Poll Claim

“Maharashtra Won't Forgive You”: D Fadnavis On Rahul Gandhi's Poll Claim



Introspect, apologise was the message from Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to Rahul Gandhi, just hours after the Congress leader alleged new voters were added mostly in constituencies where the BJP won in the Maharashtra election.

Rahul Gandhi, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, Monday alleged that about 70 lakh voters, equivalent to Himachal Pradesh’s population, were added to the electoral rolls in Maharashtra between the Lok Sabha and state elections.

“Introspect instead of insulting Maharashtra! You have insulted the people of Maharashtra, the land of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, Bharat Ratna Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, Mahatma Phule and Veer Savarkar. You have questioned the democratic mandate given by the people of Maharashtra to the NDA just because your party was vanquished,” hit back Mr Fadnavis, whose BJP, with 132 seats, recorded its best-ever performance in the state, while the Congress managed to win just 16 seats in the November polls.

“Instead of introspection, you are indulging in slander. The people of Maharashtra won’t forgive you for this. Apologise Mr. Rahul Gandhi!” Mr Fadnavis added.

Speaking on the Motion of Thanks on the President’s address in the Lok Sabha, Mr Gandhi alleged that about 70 lakh voters, equivalent to Himachal Pradesh’s population, were added to the electoral rolls in Maharashtra between the Lok Sabha and state elections.

“Now, I want to bring to the notice of this House some data about Maharashtra polls. Between the Lok Sabha polls, which the INDIA bloc won, and the assembly elections, the number equivalent to the population of Himachal was added to the voting rolls of Maharashtra,” Mr Gandhi told the House, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in attendance.

“More voters were added in Maharashtra in five months between the Lok Sabha and assembly polls than in five years,” the former Congress president said.

Mr Gandhi had last month alleged that there is a “serious problem” with the country’s election system and that the Election Commission needs to ensure there is transparency in polls.

Maintaining that “something wrong” has taken place in the Maharashtra assembly elections, he had said the Congress and the Opposition have been asking for voter lists of Maharashtra and Haryana elections, which the poll body is refusing to provide.







Source link

Video: Plane Catches Fire On Runway, Fliers Scream “Please Get Us Out”

Video: Plane Catches Fire On Runway, Fliers Scream “Please Get Us Out”




Houston:

A United Airlines flight from Houston to New York caught fire during take-off at George Bush Intercontinental Airport on Sunday (local time), as reported by the New York Post.

The plane had to be evacuated after the flames burst from one of its wings while it was taxing for take-off.

The Houston Fire Department (HFD) said that no one was injured in the incident.

“HFD’s Airport Rescue Firefighters are assisting at @iah after a departing plane reported an issue on the runway. HFD assisted in deboarding the plane. No injuries have been reported at this time,” the department wrote in a post on X.

The incident caused panic among passengers, with a video recorded by one of them capturing their screams as they spotted the flames.

There were 104 passengers and five crew members on board, the New York Post reported.

Further details are awaited.

Earlier on Friday night, a plane crashed near a mall in Philadelphia killing seven people and injuring 19 others.

Everyone aboard the flight died in the crash, along with one person on the ground, Philadelphia Mayor Cherelle Parker said at a press conference on Saturday, according to ABC News.

The Learjet 55 crashed near Roosevelt Mall in northeast Philadelphia around 6:30 pm after departing from Northeast Philadelphia Airport, according to authorities.

On Wednesday, an American Airlines plane collided with a US Army Black Hawk helicopter near Reagan National Airport, just outside Washington. The crash sent both aircraft into the Potomac River. US authorities confirmed that all 67 people are feared to be dead.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)






Source link

India vs South Africa U-19 LIVE Scorecard, Women's T20 World Cup 2025 Final: India Thrash South Africa To Clinch Historic U19 T20 World Cup Title | Cricket News

India vs South Africa U-19 LIVE Scorecard, Women's T20 World Cup 2025 Final: India Thrash South Africa To Clinch Historic U19 T20 World Cup Title | Cricket News


India Women vs South Africa Women U-19: India win by 9 wickets© X (Twitter)




IND vs SA, U-19 Women’s T20 World Cup Final: Opener Gongadi Trisha scored 44 as India defeated South Africa by nine wickets in the final match of the Women’s U19 T20 World Cup in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday. Chasing only 83 runs, India did not face much difficulty as they lost just one wicket and went across the line in just 11.2 overs. Earlier, contributions from the entire bowling unit helped India bundled out South Africa for 82 in 20 overs in the final of Women’s U19 T20 World Cup on Sunday in Kuala Lumpur. Asked to bowl first, India made immediate impact with back-to-back wickets. With this, India lifted their second consecutive U19 Women’s World Cup title. (Scorecard)

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Watch: Shop Owner Refuses To 'Re-Nazify' Hitler Youth Knife, Wins Internet

Watch: Shop Owner Refuses To 'Re-Nazify' Hitler Youth Knife, Wins Internet



A Texas business owner has become popular on social media after he refused to repair two World War II-era Hitler Youth knives, brought in by Nazi sympathisers. Johnathan Sibley, co-owner of the Blade Bar in Edom, took issue with not only the knives but also with the specific repair requests by the customers with the entire incident caught on camera.

As per the clip, the couple, who remain unidentified, entered the store at about 1 pm localtimee, carrying two sheathed knives. “What are we wanting to put in,” Mr Sibley could be heard asking the customers in the exchange caught on video.

“I need the emblem out of that,” the woman replied, pointing towards a Nazi symbol on the handle of the knife, adding that she wanted it placed on the second weapon.

“Nope, won’t do it,” Mr Sibley responded immediately.

“Nope, you’ve got Nazi bulls**t. If you wanted a modern German forestry seal of something in…I will de-Nazify s**t but I won’t re-Nazify s**t.”

As per the National Holocaust Centre and Museum, Hitler Youth was the youth body of the Nazi Party which sought to indoctrinate the children into the Nazi ideology. The group was declared illegal after the war.

Quizzed about the incident, Mr Sibley told CBS19: “I have spent more time on TikTok in the past three days than I have ever spent on TikTok cumulatively and it’s not even watching videos just trying to read and respond to comments,”

“Shame on the people who walked in there,” Rabbi Neal Katz of Congregation Beth El in Tyle thanked Mr Sibley for his effort. “We are literally having apparently parents or grandparents go in there and trying to get paraphernalia which is so offensive and disgusting to the world but they do it so brazenly and openly.”

Also Read | Fighter Bryce Mitchell Calls Hitler A “Good Guy”, UFC Boss Dana White Reacts

Internet reacts

As the video went viral, hundreds of social media users praised Mr Sibley for standing his ground against hate and ensuring that the Nazi sympathisers were called out for their beliefs.

“You are a man of honour making a positive impact,” said one user while another added: “Thank you for standing up to the hate by refusing these people’s disgusting beliefs!”

A third commented: “This is fantastic!!! Thank you for standing up and saying you won’t do it. “De-Nazify, not Re-Nazify.”

Hitler led Germany into World War II as leader of the Nazi party and ordered the Holocaust genocide, where six million Jews were murdered.





Source link

'Airlines To Cut Fares By 50% For Maha Kumbh': Minister's Big Announcement

'Airlines To Cut Fares By 50% For Maha Kumbh': Minister's Big Announcement




New Delhi:

Civil Aviation Minister K Ram Mohan Naidu has announced a 50 per cent reduction in airfare for passengers traveling to the Kumbh Mela in an exclusive interview with NDTV. The new reduced fares came into effect starting today.

The government has already directed airlines to cut the ticket prices. Three meetings were held with airline companies before implementing the fare reduction.

Airlines were reminded that such a grand event happens once in 140 years, and they must be mindful of the significance.

At the same time, the government has ensured that airlines do not suffer financial losses due to the fare reduction.

Earlier, aviation watchdog DGCA (Directorate General of Civil Aviation) had asked airlines to rationalise airfares for flights to Prayagraj. On January 23, the DGCA officials held a meeting with airline representatives regarding this. 

In January, the DGCA had approved of 81 additional flights to meet the increased demand. Airlines, including SpiceJet, are operating more flights and the number of flights operating to and from the city has gone up to 132.

But the increased number also came with a huge spike in air fare, with Delhi-Prayagraj ticket prices alone seeing a 21-fold rise.

The Maha Kumbh, which started on January 13, will conclude on February 26.

The total footfall for the mega religious festival has surpassed 199.4 million, despite a stampede earlier this week due to the overwhelming rush at key bathing ghats.

A temporary city has sprung up across 4,000 hectares (9,990 acres) on the river banks – the size of 7,500 football fields – with 150,000 tents to accommodate devotees and almost an equal number of toilets.





Source link

YouTube
Instagram
WhatsApp