New Orleans Attacker Visited Canada, Egypt In 2023, Says FBI

New Orleans Attacker Visited Canada, Egypt In 2023, Says FBI




Washington, United States:

The man accused of the ramming attack that killed 14 revelers on a crowded New Orleans street had earlier visited the city on apparent reconnaissance missions, once recording the location using camera-equipped glasses, investigators said Sunday.

They said he had also traveled to both Egypt and Canada in the two years prior, though it was unclear what he did on those trips.

US Army veteran Shamsud-Din Jabbar first came to the Louisiana city from his Texas home in late October, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said in a briefing.

On that first visit, according to a video released by the agency, Jabbar slowly rode a bicycle through the iconic French Quarter while filming the scene with his Meta smart glasses.

Meta glasses allow users to take photos or videos without using their hands, FBI special agent Lyonel Myrthil said.

The video shows Jabbar at one point studying his reflection in a full-length mirror, possibly testing the glasses.

He visited the city again on November 10, according to the FBI.

Myrthil said Jabbar was wearing the glasses, but did not activate them, before dawn on New Year’s Day when he conducted his attack in the heart of an iconic American nightlife district.

Police say he drove a rented pickup truck around a barrier and down busy Bourbon Street at high speed — killing 14 people and injuring at least 30 — before dying in a shootout with police.

Jabbar — a US citizen who on social media had declared his allegiance to the ISIS militant group — had traveled abroad twice in the past two years, according to the FBI.

Myrthil said Jabbar visited Cairo for 11 days in the summer of 2023 and the Canadian province of Ontario for three days around a week later. The FBI said it was trying to find anyone he might have met on those trips.

The FBI said two firearms had been recovered during their investigation: a 9mm pistol and a .308-caliber semi-automatic rifle.

They added that if New Orleans police had not responded as quickly as they did, Jabbar could have detonated two homemade bombs he had left along his path.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)




Source link

Cricket Australia Breaks Silence On Not Calling Sunil Gavaskar To Present Border-Gavaskar Trophy | Cricket News

Cricket Australia Breaks Silence On Not Calling Sunil Gavaskar To Present Border-Gavaskar Trophy | Cricket News


File photo of Sunil Gavaskar© X (Twitter)




Cricket Australia broke its silence on legendary India batter Sunil Gavaskar‘s displeasure at not being invited to present the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. Gavaskar was not happy with the decision to not call him at the presentation ceremony following the fifth Test match between India and Australia. However, Cricket Australia said that Gavaskar was informed that he would have presented the award to Indian captain Jasprit Bumrah if the visitors retained the trophy. Australia clinched the trophy after 10 years and as a result, Allan Border was invited to present the trophy to the Australia captain Pat Cummins.

“We acknowledge it would have been preferable if both Allan Border and Sunil Gavaskar had been asked to go on stage,” a CA spokesperson said in a statement.

Border presented the trophy to the home team but Gavaskar, despite being at the venue at the same time, was inexplicably ignored.

“I certainly would have loved to have been there for the presentation. After all it is the Border-Gavaskar Trophy and it is about Australia and India,” Gavaskar was quoted as saying by Code Sports.

“I mean, I am here on the ground. To me it should not matter that Australia won when it comes to the presentation. They played better cricket so they won. That’s fine.

“Just because I am an Indian. I would have been happy to present the trophy with my good friend Allan Border,” he added.

Both India and Australia have been competing for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy since 1996-1997 and the rivalry has grown to become one of the biggest in Test cricket.

The five-match series that Australia won drew record crowds at multiple venues and broke an 87-year-old attendance record at the Melbourne Cricket Ground last week. 

(With PTI inputs)

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

2 Ex-Armymen Killed Woman, 17-Day-Old Twins And Hid For 19 Years; Arrested

2 Ex-Armymen Killed Woman, 17-Day-Old Twins And Hid For 19 Years; Arrested




New Delhi:

Fearing that a paternity test would prove that he was the father of a 24-year-old woman’s twin daughters, who were just 17 days old, an Armyman allegedly killed her and the infants with the help of a fellow soldier. The two men then went into hiding – deserting the Army, marrying and having children – and managed to evade the law for a staggering 19 years; until a tip-off proved to be their undoing.

The case dates back to February 10, 2006, when 24-year-old Ranjini and her newborn daughters were murdered in their rented house at Yeram near Anchal in Kerala’s Kollam district. Ranjini’s mother had discovered the bodies upon returning from the panchayat office, where she had gone to get the twins’ birth certificates.

Investigation revealed that Dibil Kumar B, a native of Anchal who was 28 at the time and served in the Indian Army’s 45 AD Regiment in Pathankot, was in a relationship with Ranjini. After the twins were born on January 24, 2006, however, he began distancing himself from her.

The unwed mother then approached the Kerala State Women’s Commission, which ordered a test to establish the paternity of the twins. This infuriated Kumar, who allegedly began plotting her murder.

CBI officials said that Rajesh P, who was 33 at the time and also served with Kumar in the same Army regiment, befriended Ranjini and her mother. He assured them that he would help convince Kumar to marry Ranjini, but allegedly joined in the plot to kill her and her daughters instead. 

Manhunt

Kumar and Rajesh went on the run soon after the crime and were declared deserters by the Army in March 2006. 

Despite extensive investigations by local police and a reward of Rs 2 lakh for information that would lead to their capture, there was no sign of the two men. 

The case was handed over to the CBI in 2010 on the orders of the Kerala High Court, but a breakthrough eluded the agency as well. 

Whole New Lives

After years of pursuit, the CBI received a tip-off that Kumar and Rajesh were living in Puducherry under fake names and had managed to get new documents made, including Aadhaar cards. They had reportedly married two teachers in the city and had also fathered children. 

After carrying out surveillance, the CBI’s Chennai unit arrested the two men on Friday and brought them to Kochi, where they were produced before the Ernakulam Chief Judicial Magistrate Court on Saturday. 

They have been remanded in police custody until January 18. Officials said the CBI will also seek their custody.




Source link

Dense Fog Across North India Reduces Visibility For 2nd Day, Flight Ops Hit

Dense Fog Across North India Reduces Visibility For 2nd Day, Flight Ops Hit



For the second consecutive day, a thick layer of fog has covered north India, dropping temperatures and disrupting train, and flight operations in several states. 

The Delhi airport has issued an advisory for passengers that operations have been impacted due to fog. Flyers are requested to contact the airlines for updates. Over 170  flights have been delayed at the Delhi airport this morning and 38 have been cancelled. Srinagar, Chandigarh, Agra, Lucknow, Amritsar, Hindon and Gwalior airports reported zero visibility.

Over 50 trains coming to Delhi are late. The 22436 New Delhi Vande Bharat Express is delayed by over four hours, while the Varanasi Vande Bharat Express is 14 hours late. The New Delhi Vande Bharat Express is eight hours and 17 minutes late and the Anand Vihar Terminal Superfast Express is delayed by over seven hours.

Yesterday, over 200 flights were delayed as visibility came down to zero at the Indira Gandhi International Airport.

The India Meteorological Department has forecast a dense to very dense fog in the national capital, Uttar Pradesh and at isolated places in Punjab and Haryana. According to the IMD, the current general visibility at the IGI airport is zero.

IndiGo said it “continues to experience significantly reduced visibility due to fog, impacting flight schedules”.

Air India said, “Poor visibility due to dense fog is impacting flight operations in Delhi and parts of Northern India,” asking passengers to check their flight status.

SpiceJet advised passengers to check their flight status and updated that, “Due to bad weather (poor visibility) in Delhi (DEL), all departures/arrivals and their consequential flights might get affected.”

Delhi is expected to witness fog till January 8, with light rain likely on January 6. The temperature in Delhi as of Saturday morning was 10 degrees Celsius.

A “cold day” is when the minimum temperature is under 10 degrees Celsius and the highest or lowest temperature is at least 4.5 degrees lower than what is considered normal for a specific period.

As per the CPCB, the Air Quality Index is over 240, categorised as ‘Very Unhealthy’.






Source link

PM Modi vs Arvind Kejriwal On 'AAPda' Ahead Of Delhi Elections

PM Modi vs Arvind Kejriwal On 'AAPda' Ahead Of Delhi Elections




New Delhi:

At a ceremony inaugurating 1,675 flats for residents of slum clusters and two major urban redevelopment projects in the national capital, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a swipe at Arvind Kejriwal, referring to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government as an “AAPda” (disaster) that has gripped Delhi for the past decade. 

PM Modi accused the AAP leadership of pushing Delhi into a crisis and claimed their governance was defined by corruption and mismanagement.

“In the last 10 years, Delhi is surrounded by an ‘AAPda’. AAP has descended as a calamity on Delhi. I could have built a ‘Sheeshmahal’ (glass palace) too, but I chose to build more than 4 crore homes for the poor,” PM Modi said at the event, alluding to recent allegations of exorbitant expenditures on the Delhi Chief Minister’s residence.

This statement referred to an October inventory released by the Public Works Department (PWD), detailing high-end appliances and gadgets reportedly worth over crores installed at the Delhi Chief Minister’s bungalow. The controversy has become a political flashpoint between the BJP and the AAP.

In a rebuttal, Arvind Kejriwal accused the BJP of failing Delhi over the past decade and dismissed PM Modi’s remarks as “personal attacks.” Mr Kejriwal claimed his government’s record in education, healthcare, and infrastructure far outpaced the BJP’s contributions.

“In 10 years, the BJP has not done a single significant thing in Delhi. They promised permanent housing by 2022 but have built only 4,700 houses in five years. Compare that to AAP’s work-22,000 classrooms, three new universities, and countless developmental initiatives,” Mr Kejriwal said.

PM Modi, during his 43-minute speech, emphasized that the BJP-led central government has been the driving force behind Delhi’s infrastructure growth. He handed over keys to beneficiaries of the Delhi Development Authority’s (DDA) In-Situ Slum Rehabilitation Project in Ashok Vihar, where eligible recipients paid only a fraction of the construction cost.

The Prime Minister also inaugurated two urban redevelopment projects – the World Trade Centre at Nauroji Nagar and residential quarters at Sarojini Nagar.

Mr Kejriwal countered by accusing the BJP of demolishing slums without providing alternatives. “If you had voted for BJP, they would have razed all slums in Delhi,” he alleged. “There is no ‘AAPda’ in Delhi. The real disaster is the BJP.”




Source link

Punjab Dismisses Cop For Facilitating TV Interview With Lawrence Bishnoi

Punjab Dismisses Cop For Facilitating TV Interview With Lawrence Bishnoi




Chandigarh:

A senior police officer of Punjab has been sacked for facilitating the recording of an interview with gangster Lawrence Bishnoi by a private television channel while he was in the custody of the CIA (Crime Investigation Agency) in Kharar.

The action came after a probe by a Special Investigation Team. The state police chief said Gursher Singh Sandhu has “severely dented the image of the department “with his misconduct, negligence and dereliction of duty.  

While reviewing the matter, the state government, too, came to the same conclusion and issued an order for his dismissal. 

Bishnoi’s interviews were conducted while he was in police custody. One of these was at the  CIA staff premises Kharar, and was aired by a private news channel in March 2023.

The dismissal orders, which cited Article 311 of the Constitution, made special mention of his uncooperative attitude. 

“It is not reasonably practicable to hold an inquiry into the chargesheet issued to Gursher Singh Sandhu, PPS (under suspension), in view of the non-cooperative attitude of the officer,” the order read. 

It cited how the officer refused to accept a copy of the chargesheet against him and how it had to be affixed to his doorstep”.

Lawrence Bishnoi, arrested in 2014, has made the rounds of various jails of the country including Delhi’s Tihar jail. Currently he is in Sabarmati’s Central Jail.
 




Source link

YouTube
Instagram
WhatsApp