“Time To Make Things Right”: Zelensky Regrets Trump Spat After US Aid Pause

“Time To Make Things Right”: Zelensky Regrets Trump Spat After US Aid Pause



Just days after a stunning public clash with US President Donald Trump in the Oval Office, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky today underscored that he wants to “make things right” with Trump and wanted to work under his “strong leadership” to secure a lasting peace in Ukraine.

“Our meeting in Washington, at the White House on Friday, did not go the way it was supposed to be. It is regrettable that it happened this way. It is time to make things right. We would like future cooperation and communication to be constructive,” Mr Zelensky posted on X in his first public comments since Trump halted US military aid to Ukraine.

Russia said the suspension of US-Ukraine aid was the “best contribution” to peace, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, adding that it was a “solution which could really push the Kyiv regime to a peace process”.

Any disruption in the flow of US arms to the front line would rapidly weaken Ukraine’s chance of beating back Russia’s invasion.

“None of us wants an endless war. Ukraine is ready to come to the negotiating table as soon as possible to bring lasting peace closer. Nobody wants peace more than Ukrainians. My team and I stand ready to work under President Trump’s strong leadership to get a peace that lasts,” said Mr Zelensky.

US and Russian officials have held talks on ending the war, enraging Kyiv and Europe for being sidelined, and prompting fears that any deal could threaten Ukraine’s future.

“We are ready to work fast to end the war, and the first stages could be the release of prisoners and truce in the sky – ban on missiles, long-ranged drones, bombs on energy and other civilian infrastructure – and truce in the sea immediately, if Russia will do the same. Then we want to move very fast through all next stages and to work with the US to agree a strong final deal.” said Mr Zelensky.

Mr Zelensky again underlined the US’ support in maintaining its independence. 

“We do really value how much America has done to help Ukraine maintain its sovereignty and independence. And we remember the moment when things changed when President Trump provided Ukraine with Javelins. We are grateful for this,” Mr Zelensky added.

He also said that Kyiv was ready to sign a deal giving the US preferential access to Ukraine’s natural resources and minerals at “any time and in any convenient format”.

The deal was supposed to be inked in Washington last week before Mr Zelensky was kicked out of the White House after the public row with Mr Trump.





Source link

Maharashtra Minister Resigns After Close Aide Arrested Over Murder Of Sarpanch

Maharashtra Minister Resigns After Close Aide Arrested Over Murder Of Sarpanch




Mumbai:

Maharashtra minister Dhananjay Munde has resigned after one of his close aides was arrested in connection with the chilling murder of a sarpanch in Beed district in December. Mr Munde, who held the portfolios of food and civil supplies, has stepped down on the instructions of Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis after his aide Walmik Karad was arrested for his alleged role in the murder of Santosh Deshmukh, the sarpanch of Massajog village.

In a post on X, Mr Munde said it has been his firm demand that the accused in the sarpanch’s murder case get the harshest punishment. “Seeing the photos that surfaced yesterday, I was deeply saddened. The investigation into this matter has been completed and the charge sheet has been filed in the court. Also, a judicial inquiry is proposed,” he said. The NCP leader said he had heard his “inner self” to take the decision. He said his health has also not been well and the doctor had advised him to undergo treatment soon.

Mr Fadnavis told the media that he had accepted Mr Munde’s resignation and had forwarded it to Governor CP Radhakrishnan.

According to sources, the missive from Mr Fadnavis came after a meeting with Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar to discuss the political fallout of a chargesheet in the sarpanch’s murder case and what the investigation revealed about Karad’s alleged role.

Forty-nine-year-old Dhananjay Munde is an MLA from Ajit Pawar’s NCP and represents Beed’s Parli seat in the Assembly. The nephew of BJP veteran, the late Gopinath Munde, Dhananjay Munde is a cousin of Maharashtra minister Pankaja Munde. Dhananjay Munde joined the NCP in 2013. When the Sharad Pawar-led party split in 2023, he sided with Ajit Pawar. In the past, he has served as Leader of the Opposition in the legislative council and as a state minister in the Uddhav Thackeray government.

Behind Minister’s Ouster, A Chilling Murder

Santosh Deshmukh, the 45-year-old sarpanch of Massajog village in Beed, was abducted, tortured and murdered on December 9 after he tried to stop an extortion attempt targeting an energy company, the investigation has revealed.

The Crime Investigation Department (CID) of state police filed a 1,200-page chargesheet in a district court on February 27. Three cases — relating to the sarpanch’s murder, attempt to extort money from Avaada company and an assault on security guard of the firm — have been registered. The stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) has been invoked against eight accused. Seven have been arrested and one is on the run. Among the arrested accused is Karad, a close aide of Dhananjay Munde, building pressure on the state government to act against the minister.

Brutal Torture, Shocking Videos

Santosh Deshmukh was abducted by six men in an SUV on December 9 at Dongaon toll plaza and taken towards Kej taluka. He was found unconscious at Daithna Shivar towards Nandur Ghat Road that evening. He was rushed to a hospital, where he was declared dead.

According to police officials, he was beaten between for over two hours with a gas pipe an iron rod, wooden sticks and sharp weapons.

Police have said in the chargesheet that Santosh Deshmukh was tortured before being killed and the assailants recorded 15 videos, clicked eight photos and even made two video calls to document the brutality. In one of the videos mentioned in the chargesheet, five accused are seen thrashing Mr Deshmukh with a white pipe and a wooden stick, and kicking and punching him. The video shows Deshmukh in a half-naked condition. Another video shows one of the accused urinating on him as he bleeds heavily, the chargesheet says.




Source link

Woman From UP, On Death Row For Killing A Child, Executed In UAE

Woman From UP, On Death Row For Killing A Child, Executed In UAE




New Delhi:

An Indian woman, Shahzadi Khan, who was facing a death sentence in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), has been executed, the Foreign Ministry informed the Delhi High Court on Monday. Thirty-three-year-old woman from Uttar Pradesh’s Banda district was facing execution in Abu Dhabi over an allegation of killing a four-month-old child.

Shahzadi Khan was executed on February 15, 2025, in accordance with the laws and regulations of UAE, the Foreign Minister told the court.

Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Chetan Sharma said the Indian embassy in UAE received an official communication about Khan’s execution from the government on February 28.

“Authorities are extending all possible assistance and that her cremation is scheduled for March 5, 2025,” he added.

This came after Khan’s father Shabbir Khan approached the court seeking to access information regarding the exact current legal status and well-being of his daughter.

Following the Ministry’s submissions, the court disposed of the plea calling it a “sad and unfortunate” incident.

Shahzadi Khan Case

Shahzadi Khan was imprisoned in Abu Dhabi’s Al Wathba jail and was sentenced to death for the death of a child who was under her care.

According to Shabbir Khan’s petition, his daughter travelled to Abu Dhabi in December 2021 after obtaining a legal visa.

In August 2022, her employer gave birth to a son for whom Khan was employed as a caregiver. The infant passed away on December 7, 2022, after receiving routine vaccinations.

The plea also mentioned a video recording which allegedly showed Khan confessing to the infant’s homicide in December 2023. However, it claimed that the confession was extracted through torture and abuse by her employer and family.

It also claimed that the infant’s parents refused consent for a postmortem and signed an agreement to waive further investigation into the death.

The man alleged that while the Indian Embassy did provide his daughter with legal counsel, she was pressured into confessing to homicide and denied her adequate representation.

Khan’s appeal in September 2023 was dismissed, and the death penalty was upheld on February 28, 2024.

Following this, Shabbir Khan had filed a new mercy petition in May 2024. On February 14, 2025, he received a call from his incarcerated daughter, suggesting imminent execution. He then filed a formal request with the Foreign Ministry on February 20, 2025, seeking an inquiry into her legal status and wellbeing, but received no update.





Source link

“Dismayed”: Shashi Tharoor On Kerala Startups Days After Remark Sparked Row

“Dismayed”: Shashi Tharoor On Kerala Startups Days After Remark Sparked Row




Thiruvananthapuram:

Congress MP Shashi Tharoor on Sunday backtracked on his stance regarding industrial growth in Kerala, stating that the state needs more MSME start-ups — not just on paper.

Sharing a news report from an English daily on ‘X’, Mr Tharoor expressed disappointment over the state’s start-up ecosystem, saying it was not as promising as reported.

“Dismayed to see that the Kerala start-up entrepreneurship story is not what’s been reported,” he posted.

The news report he shared claimed that over 42,000 MSMEs had shut down in Kerala over the past nine years, resulting in the loss of employment for at least 1,03,764 workers.

“The only silver lining is that at least the GoK’s claims point to the right intentions. We need more MSME start-ups— and not just on paper. Kerala must head this way!” his post added.

However, State Industries Minister P Rajeeve dismissed the news report as “baseless.” “I provided a detailed reply in the Assembly on February 10. Recently, Union Commerce and Industries Minister Piyush Goyal stated in Parliament that 1,700 MSMEs shut down in Kerala over the past four years,” he said.

Mr Rajeeve further pointed out that while 30 per cent of MSMEs in the country shut down within their first year, the figure in Kerala was only 15 per cent.

He alleged that the report was published with ulterior motives, as it did not cite the source of its figures.

Mr Tharoor’s recent remarks on Kerala’s industrial growth sparked controversy within the Congress state unit.

The Congress Working Committee member ruffled feathers in the party after writing an article in an English daily praising the industrial policy of the Pinarayi Vijayan government in Kerala.

Notably, the Thiruvananthapuram MP’s post came just two days after the Congress leadership held a brainstorming session with Kerala leaders at the party headquarters in New Delhi to strategise for next year’s Assembly polls. 

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)




Source link

US Spaceship Hours Away From Daring Moon Landing Attempt

US Spaceship Hours Away From Daring Moon Landing Attempt



After a long journey through space, a US company is just hours away from attempting a daring lunar touchdown — its spacecraft poised to become only the second private lander to achieve the feat if it succeeds.

Firefly Aerospace’s Blue Ghost Mission 1 is targeting landing no sooner than 3:34 am US Eastern time (0834 GMT) on Sunday, aiming for a site near Mons Latreille, a volcanic feature in Mare Crisium on the Moon’s northeastern near side.

“Blue Ghost is ready to take the wheel!” the company posted on X on Saturday evening, adding flight controllers had just initiated a key maneuver that lowers a spacecraft’s orbit.

Nicknamed “Ghost Riders in the Sky,” the mission comes just over a year after the first-ever commercial lunar landing and is part of a NASA partnership with industry to cut costs and support Artemis, the program aiming to return astronauts to the Moon.

The golden lander, about the size of a hippopotamus, launched on January 15 on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, capturing stunning footage of Earth and the Moon along the way. It shared a ride with a Japanese company’s lander set to attempt a landing in May.

Blue Ghost carries ten instruments, including a lunar soil analyzer, a radiation-tolerant computer and an experiment testing the feasibility of using the existing global satellite navigation system to navigate the Moon.

Designed to operate for a full lunar day (14 Earth days), Blue Ghost is expected to capture high-definition imagery of a total eclipse on March 14, when Earth blocks the Sun from the Moon’s horizon.

On March 16, it will record a lunar sunset, offering insights into how dust levitates above the surface under solar influence — creating the mysterious lunar horizon glow first documented by Apollo astronaut Eugene Cernan.

Hopping drone

Blue Ghost’s arrival will be followed on March 6 by Intuitive Machines’ IM-2 mission, featuring its lander Athena.

In February 2024, Intuitive Machines became the first private company to achieve a soft lunar landing — also the first US landing since the crewed Apollo 17 mission of 1972. 

However, the success was tempered by a mishap: the lander came down too fast, tipped over on impact, leaving it unable to generate enough solar power and cutting the mission short.

This time, the company says it has made key improvements to the hexagonal-shaped lander, which has a taller, slimmer profile than Blue Ghost, and is around the height of an adult giraffe. 

Athena launched on Wednesday aboard a SpaceX rocket, taking a more direct route toward Mons Mouton — the southernmost lunar landing site ever attempted.

Its payloads include three rovers, a drill to search for ice and the star of the show: a first-of-its-kind hopping drone designed to explore the Moon’s rugged terrain.

NASA’s private Moon fleet

Landing on the Moon presents unique challenges due to the absence of an atmosphere, making parachutes ineffective. 

Instead, spacecraft must rely on precisely controlled thruster burns to slow their descent.

Until Intuitive Machines’ first successful mission, only five national space agencies had accomplished this feat: the Soviet Union, the United States, China, India and Japan, in that order. 

Now, the United States is working to make private lunar missions routine through NASA’s $2.6 billion Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) program.

The missions come at a delicate moment for NASA, amid speculation that it may scale back or even cancel its Artemis lunar program in favor of prioritizing Mars exploration — a key goal of both President Donald Trump and his close advisor, SpaceX founder Elon Musk.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)






Source link

Massive Fire Erupts In Chemical Factory In Madhya Pradesh Capital

Massive Fire Erupts In Chemical Factory In Madhya Pradesh Capital




Bhopal:

A massive fire broke out in a paint-making chemical factory in Madhya Pradesh’s Govindpura on Saturday. The blaze erupted behind the Tata Mahindra showroom on JK Road, with firefighters engaged in rescue operations. 

The cause of the fire is suspected to be a short circuit. Flames soaring up to 20 feet have engulfed the factory, sending thick black smoke billowing into the sky. The smoke was visible from several kilometres away.

A large cylinder burst within the factory premises, amplifying the fire’s intensity and causing panic. As a precaution, all showroom operators in the vicinity shut their businesses. The industrial area houses several major vehicle showrooms.

In response to the emergency, firefighters from Govindpura, Pul Bogda, and Fatehgarh fire stations arrived at the scene with 10 to 12 fire brigade vehicles. 

As the flames continued to rage, a large crowd gathered near the site. The police have also reached the spot and are managing the situation, ensuring that civilians maintain a safe distance. Nearby shop owners and showroom employees evacuated their premises as a precautionary measure.




Source link

YouTube
Instagram
WhatsApp